Friday, March 8, 2013

International Women's Day

I was going to wait until tomorrow to get into this topic. But, I found out that today is International Women's Day. So, I thought better of it and am going to share this now. One of the things that I've been trying work through for the past few years is the idea of egalitarianism. It's more than abundantly clear that the Biblical witness testifies to the equality of gender. There is no longer any male or female in the body of Christ. We are all Yahweh's children. As such, we are compelled to love and respect one another as equal beneficiaries of God's grace and mercy. That's why it breaks my heart to read reports such as this:
http://news.yahoo.com/half-girls-south-sudan-forced-marry-140334618.html
We talk about equality in this country. Yet, we are mostly ignorant of what happens in other parts of the world. It seems inconceivable, (yes, I like The Princess Bride), that this kind of activity can still happen in the 21st century. It should be! Yet, in many parts of the world women and girls are considered property for the benefit of the male population, bought and sold like cattle. As Christ followers, we are under a mandate to express God's love to ALL creation. Hey, folks...that includes women. Yet, we in the West tend to gravitate to hot button issues like abortion and education and 2nd amendment crap, while real, human, flesh and blood females are being treated worse than many of us would treat our pets. I don't know about y'all, but I cannot sit idly by and do/say nothing. This must end!

No comments:

Post a Comment