Saturday, March 10, 2012

Love Fuels Devotion

I've read several accounts of folks who have had spiritual experiences that manifest with physical sensations. Most notably, a burning in the heart or breast. Both John Wesley and Richard Rolle wrote about this. Today, as I was praying, I asked Yahweh about this. It seemed that such experiences fueled the ardor and devotion of these men. It sparked a holy desire to know and serve Christ. It also became a reminder of God's goodness and love toward them. So, of course, I desired a similar experience. (How human.) But, I sensed the Lord pointing to the fact that I was there, in God's presence, devoting my time and attention to God.The words that came to my mind were, "This is the fruit of love." While the physical flame is absent, the burning desire to know communicate with and serve God is present. This is a result of Yahweh's love for me. This agape of God is ever and always flowing outward. It flows outward from God to God's good creation. Our love, if it is genuine, flows outward into the world so that both human and non-human creation is affected.
Maybe, someday Yahweh will bless me with a burning in my heart like Rolle and Wesley. Maybe not. But, I really don't think that's the point. Love and devotion...that's the heart of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment