Saturday, May 25, 2013

Privileged, and Mostly Oblivious to It

I am a white male. That's what I've always been. That's what I always will be. I can't help it. It's how God made me. If everything was equal, there would be no problem with that. But, things are not equal. I am privileged in this culture. And, God did not make me that. The systems that have been built over centuries have ensured that I would have a privileged position in society. These systems are so deeply embedded in our culture that most of us who are privileged don't even realize that we are. It's just 'the way it is.'
Recently, Tony Jones, a highly educated, white guy made a presentation that rubbed some people the wrong way. One of the people in attendance,Christena Cleveland, called Tony out for being exercising his privilege. Jones responded with obviously hurt feelings. Now, at first, I didn't see all that much that was offensive in Jones' remarks. Shoot! I've probably said similar things myself! As I reflected on it, though, I became more and more uncomfortable. Then, a few days later Jones, I think in an attempt to show how egalitarian he is, posted a request for women and feminists to join in his blog. Again, an understandable response from a privileged person who sincerely believes that he is above reproach in these matters.
This morning I visited the blog of Caryn Riswold. She pretty much dissed Jones' offer. And, she challenged readers to go and read what people who are NOT privileged have to say. One of those links led me to Cleveland's blog. I spent the next 30 minutes reading a 5 part series that she had posted. What great stuff! You see, we who enjoy privilege are blind to it. We simply can't understand why 'others' don't like us. We don't get it when marginalized and oppressed people don't 'get' us. In fact, many of us don't realize that there are any oppressed people out there. After all, we live in a land of equal opportunity. But, as the old cliche goes, "some of us are more equal than others."
I am adding a link to Cleveland's series. I would encourage anyone who happens to stop by here to take the time to read it. It is of utmost importance if we are trying to be the Body of Christ to understand where the other members of that body live and breathe and have their being. It is important, no necessary, that we embrace kenosis, emptying, as Jesus did if we are to live as God's people. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment