Sunday, January 1, 2012

Peace on the streets...

I was going to take today off. It's New Year day and I just felt like taking it easy. I read a story in the newspaper, tho, that got me off of the couch and on to my computer. Actually, my wife handed me the paper so I could read an article about a man in Cleveland, Ohio who is truly making a difference. I'll provide the link at the end of this post.
In a kind of follow-up to my post yesterday, I read about Khalid Samad. He has been a community activist of sorts working to bring peace between rival gangs. As many of us have read and heard through the media, gang violence continues to escalate. For those of us who are not directly affected by this, it can be hard to give a damn. But, for folks like Samad, this is everyday life.
There are some who may read this blog and wonder what a Christ-follower is offering cudos to this person. Well, the issues being addressed are human issues. They are fellow sojourner issues. They are important to God, therefore, important to me. I applaud Samad and others who are willing to put feet to their faith and do something to help others. To Khalid Samad I say "salam alaikum." May the peace of God be with you as you work for the peace of others and the community.
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2012/01/khalid_samad_promotes_peace_co.html

No comments:

Post a Comment