Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Our Common Human Frailty

This is not the post that I have been planning to write. That one is going to take another couple of days to prepare. But, I'm really having a difficult and emotional moment right now. You see, my dad is getting up in years. He's 84. That's ok, I guess. But the real issue is the dementia that has robbed him of his life. I just came from the rehab center that is his current home. He had surgery to remove his gall bladder a couple weeks ago and has not been able to return to his 'normal life.' I understand that dementia redefines 'normal.' But, I was totally unprepared for what I saw today. I will not go into details, but suffice to say that the light...no, the fire in dad's eyes has been extinguished. I remember playing tennis with him way back in the day. He never had mercy on me, even though I was some 26 years his junior. He wanted me to learn! Today I looked into his eyes and saw...well...nothing. They are pale blue and lifeless. He even told the nurse present that his wife was gone and I am gone. He knows. The time for exiting this life is ever so near. I am preparing a eulogy. I think that God the Holy Spirit know that Bill's life is nearing its culmination. I pray that I can do justice to the life of this man. Formed in his mother's womb, grown up in the sight of Yahweh, and passing in the grace of God through Yeshua Ha Mashiach.

No comments:

Post a Comment